Thursday, May 7, 2015

Bulgogi Ssambap recipe

One of the most popular Korean dishes is Bulgogi. According to Wikipedia, Bulgogi means 'fire meat', Ssam means 'wrapped', and Bap means 'rice or other grains'. Get the picture? I've made this dish over and over again, trying to perfect it to my liking. I finally did it! Or at least for now, I don't think there's anything I want to change. I've used ribeye, sirloin, and tenderloin before but I think I like the sirloin tip sandwich steak better because it is already pounded thin so all I need to do is cut them to bite-size. I've also tried adding pineapple chunks before and Bosc pear when I couldn't find Asian pear. I even added ginger at one point. I tried putting the marinade in the blender before, but I really do think it tastes better when I hand-chop everything. Enough chit-chat. You ready for this deliciousness?

P.S.: I don't always mention it, but I almost always rinse the protein (in this case, beef) and pat them dry with paper towels.

Bulgogi Ssambap
For the Beef
ingredients:
• 1 lb beef sirloin tip sandwich steak, cut to 2-3" x 1" (other cuts: sirloin, ribeye, or tenderloin, thinly sliced against the grain)
• 3 tbsp onion, grated
• 2 tbsp Asian pear, grated (also called apple pear)
• 5 oz shiitake and oyster mushroom mix (or just either one)
• 1 carrot, julienned
• 2 scallion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp cheongju or sake
• 1 tbsp pineapple juice
• 1 tbsp light brown sugar
• 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
instructions:
1)  Put everything in a large bowl. Mix everything together and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, tossing occasionally.
2)  Take the bowl out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to bring beef to room temperature.
3)  Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Add meat one by one and some veggies to the pan to avoid overcrowding. Grill for 2 minutes per side. Then, using a wooden spoon, toss everything together for 1 minute. Transfer meat to a plate. Add the next batch of meat to the pan and repeat.
Recommended Side Dishes:
○ Lettuce of your choice, rice, kimchi, ssamjang, scallions, chili peppers, sliced garlic, sliced onions, etc.
My Side Dishes and How to Eat:
○ Lettuce wraps, rice, store-bought ssamjang, sliced scallions, and sliced chili peppers.
○ Place a lettuce leaf in your hand, smear some ssamjang on the leaf, add in some rice, top with bulgogi beef, and finish with some scallions and chili pepper. Wrap it all together, take a bite or two and enjoy!
◘ note: You can use a Korean BBQ grill/tabletop grill plate pan if you have it.
DSC06624 DSC06627DSC06630 DSC06631DSC06643 DSC06650DSC06654

No comments:

Post a Comment