Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pan-Fried Alaskan Cod with Beurre Blanc recipe

This is one of my husband's favorite fish dish that I make. I don't like fish a whole lot but I can devour this anytime! I'm especially fond of my beurre blanc sauce recipe. It is my creation and I love it! One time Red Lobster was having their lobster special and I ordered a dish that had beurre blanc sauce. The sauce was runny and a little bland. I like my beurre blanc to be slightly thick so that it'll cling onto my food. As I was eating it I thought to myself, "Man, I like my beurre blanc waaay better." So I let my husband try some of my food and he said, "Maybe you should give them your recipe for beurre blanc." I was very touched!

Recommended side dishes:
- Rice of your choice (white, brown, wild, rice pilaf)
- Steamed broccoli with a squeeze of lemon juice and kosher salt to taste

Excuse my photo-taking skills. I have none.


Pan-Fried Alaskan Cod with Beurre Blanc
For the Beurre Blanc
ingredients:
• ¼ cup white wine (chardonnay: medium-dry to dry)

• ¼ cup aged white wine vinegar
• 2 shallots, chopped
• 1 dried bay leaf
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed & kept cold until ready to use
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• ¹/8 tsp ground white pepper (optional)
instructions:
1)  Add white wine, white wine vinegar, shallots, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until liquid has reduced to almost dry, about 5-7 minutes.
2)  Pour in heavy cream while whisking and bring mixture to a complete boil. Once at a rolling boil, turn off the heat and add 2 cubes of butter at a time while whisking constantly.
◘ note: Make sure sets of butter added are melted and well incorporated before adding more. Whisk 
constantly.
3)  Strain the sauce into a bowl and season with salt and white pepper (if using). Set sauce aside while you cook the fish. The sauce will thicken slightly during this rest period, which will help it cling onto the fish.
For the Alaskan Cod
ingredients:
• 2 (1 lb each) Alaskan cod fillets, halved crosswise or cut into thirds
• kosher salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• cayenne
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 3 tbsp olive oil
instructions:
1)  Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Season one side of the fillets with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
◘ tip: Don't be shy on the seasonings. You want the fish to be flavorful.
2)  Heat butter and olive oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Once butter becomes a little brown add 2-3 fillets, seasoned side down, and cook for 4 minutes. While fillets are cooking on one side, 
season the side facing up.
◘ tip: Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches if needed. I used a 12-inch nonstick saute pan.
3)  Carefully flip the fillets and cook for another 4 minutes. Transfer cooked fillets to a plate. Repeat cooking process for the rest of the fillets.
◘ tip: Cod is a flaky fish so flip with care.
To Assemble:
○ Place a serving of fillets on a plate and pour sauce over the top.
○ Add sauce to the bottom of the plate then place fillets on top of the sauce.

○ Put fillets on a serving plate and serve with the sauce and a spoon in a bowl alongside it.
DSC04203 DSC04202DSC04209 DSC04210DSC04212 DSC04216DSC04221 DSC04230DSC04231 DSC04234DSC04235 DSC04238DSC04258

No comments:

Post a Comment