Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pico de Gallo recipe

I love pico de gallo!
Fun Fact: Whenever I make a juicy pico de gallo, I drink the juice! I'm not sure if that's a fun fact or an embarrassing one!

Pico de gallo or salsa fresca is so versatile. Chips and salsa, anyone? How about pico de gallo in your burrito, tacos, nachos, or fajitas? Or my favorite one: Grilled New York Strip Steak with Smokey Israeli Couscous and a side of Pico de Gallo.

Depending on the level of your tolerance for spicy things, you may have to completely remove all the seeds and ribs (capsaicin glands or placenta, you stickler!) of the jalapeño. You can experiment and find which chili pepper you like best in your pico de gallo, like serrano pepper. What about onions? You can use red, yellow, or white onions. Avoid Vidalia onions as they are a bit sweeter. I personally prefer yellow onions, and really, I wouldn't change a thing about my recipe (because I've experimented quite a lot already and this is the one for me).

Note: The longer the salsa sits, the juicier it gets even if you've scraped all the pulp out of the tomatoes in the beginning. You can pour the juice out if you want to, though I would recommend against it because that's tossing some of the flavors out.

Pico de Gallo
ingredients:
• 2 Roma tomatoes (about 1 cup)
• half of a small onion (about 1/3 cup)
• 1 jalapeño
• 1 lime, juiced
• ¾ tsp kosher salt
• 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
instructions:
1)  Cut the tomatoes in half and scrape out all the seeds/pulp using a spoon. Dice the tomatoes.
2)  Dice the onion.
3)  Remove the stem and cut the jalapeño in half. Scrape the seeds out of one half, but leave the seeds intact in the other. Dice the jalapeño.
4)  Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
◘ note: For a juicier salsa, do not remove the tomato pulp. Adjust salt to taste, if needed.
DSC04969 DSC04972DSC04970 DSC04975DSC04985 DSC04986

No comments:

Post a Comment