Friday, March 18, 2016

Buta Kimchi recipe

My gosh.. Where do I even begin with this dish?! When I first had it I was like, "Where has this been all my life?!"

One day last year, we went to a sushi place for lunch before heading to Whole Foods. I was craving for some kimchi and this dish was listed under the appetizer category. I ordered it and it was served family-style. Tender pork belly, spicy kimchi, bean sprouts, scallions.. Mmmm! I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it but it turned out I almost wanted to lick the plate clean! My husband and child had a few bites, and maybe they wanted more but I was pretty much inhaling this dish! It's one of those dishes that doesn't make me feel heavy after eating the whole thing. (It made me reminisce about my friend's omma's kimchi fried rice.) I've been ordering this dish as my main entree at that restaurant since then. I think it's supposed to serve 2-4 people but I eat that whole thing by myself!

Naturally, I wanted to recreate this glorious dish so that I can eat it whenever I want. And boy I think I made a better version! My first try, I made it with pork belly but didn't take any photos since it was a trial recipe. The second time, I used bacon. Pork belly is hard to find here in my area so I had to make that substitute, and I don't regret it. My kid and I can demolish this dish any day! And we do every time I make it! (Husband gets jealous because he's often at work when I make this.) Oh, what's that? You love bacon? You love kimchi? Then read on, my friend, read on.


Side notes: No, do not add Kewpie. Yes, you may have fried eggs (sunny side up or over medium). Use hot/spicy kimchi, you wimp. Don't skip gochujang, dang it!

Buta Kimchi
ingredients
• 3 extra thick cut bacon, chopped
• quarter of an onion, slivered
• 14 oz jar hot kimchi, roughly chopped
• 4 oz bean sprouts
• 3 scallions (2 stalks cut to 2-inch length, 1 stalk sliced on a bias for garnish)
• 1 tbsp gochujang
• 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
• 1 tsp sesame oil

instructions:
1)  In a dry pan over high heat, add bacon in a single layer. Let it cook on one side for about 2 minutes to get some color on them before tossing them around. Cook an additional 2 minutes after that.
2)  Add onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3)  Add kimchi including its juices, gochujang, and soy sauce; toss to combine for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, put the lid on and cook for 8 minutes.
4)  Remove the lid, add bean sprouts and 2-inch length scallions. Increase heat to medium-low, toss to combine and let cook for 2 minutes.
5)  Turn off the heat. Drizzle sesame oil and stir well.
6)  Transfer to a platter, garnish with sliced scallions and serve family-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment