Thursday, February 12, 2015

Loaded Golden Mashed Potatoes recipe

I think most of us are familiar with Loaded Mashed Potatoes that you get at restaurants. I said "most of us" because there are those who follow different types of diet, me included. No, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan; I'm simply an omnivore. But when it comes to side dishes, if steamed broccoli is available then that's what I'll have; other than that, regular mashed potatoes will do if nothing else on the menu interests me. I really don't know what loaded mashed potatoes taste like. I mean obviously I see potatoes, some bacon bits, and shredded cheese -- I can imagine what that taste like. Do I know the rest of the ingredients exactly? No. So I decided to make my own version, using my Simply Heavenly Mashed Potatoes recipe as a guide.

My husband loved this version!
"I could eat this all day! But I'm going to save some.. so I can have it again tomorrow!" His exact words.

I don't know about you, but we love a few grinds of black pepper on our mashed potatoes before devouring it. I think it may be the aroma of freshly ground black pepper that we love, or simply the taste. Who knows.

Loaded Golden Mashed Potatoes
ingredients:
• 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & chopped
• ¼ lb prosciutto, chopped
• ½ cup heavy cream, scalded
• ½ cup half & half, scalded
• 1 stick unsalted butter, divided use
• 2 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
• 1/8 cup sour cream
• 2 tsp kosher salt, divided use
• freshly ground black pepper
• chopped chives for garnish
instructions:
1)  Put potatoes in a pot and add cold water just enough to cover them.

◘ tip: Make sure the potatoes are uniform in size for even cooking.
2)  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, put the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
◘ tip: Leave the lid slightly ajar if the lid doesn't have a vent hole to let steam escape. Use a fork to check for doneness, not a paring knife.
3)  Drain the potatoes; set aside. In the same pot, add the prosciutto and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir constantly.
◘ tip: Cook the prosciutto longer if you desire crispy bits; stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking to the pot too much and being careful not to burn them.
4)  Transfer prosciutto to a plate. Add the potatoes back in the pot and turn the heat on to the lowest heat setting.
5)  Add half of the butter, half of the scalded dairy, 1 tsp salt, and some pepper. Mash a little bit using a potato masher.
6)  Add the rest of the butter and scalded dairy, cream cheese, sour cream, prosciutto, 1 tsp salt, and some more pepper. Mash again just enough to get the rest of the ingredients incorporated.
◘ tip: Do not overmash. Switch to a spatula or a wooden spoon if you need to stir the potatoes a little more.

7)  Garnish with chopped chives.
DSC04867 DSC04869DSC04873 DSC04881DSC04870 DSC04883DSC04884 DSC04887DSC04894 DSC04912DSC04929

No comments:

Post a Comment