Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sriracha-Cream Seared Alaskan Cod recipe

I originally used catfish the first time I made this recipe. Have I ever mentioned I don't eat fish a whole lot? Yeah, I'm not a fan. I think I've only tasted milkfish, tilapia, cod, a little bit of canned tuna, and a small piece of salmon (and I mean maybe the size of a fingernail). Oh, and fried perch once. So I really don't know what other fish taste like, and I sure as heck didn't know what catfish tasted like before I used it for this recipe! I hated it, but my husband didn't mind it. His palate for fish is more diverse than mine. In fact, he was the one who picked up the catfish at the store.

When I made this with catfish, I seared one side of the fillets and then broiled it the rest of the way. But this time with the cod, I seared one side and then baked it the rest of the way. Both times, I squeezed lime juice over the top before eating it. When my husband squeezed lime juice on the cod, he said it tasted like fish tacos. I wouldn't know.. I've never had fish tacos!

Sriracha-Cream Seared Alaskan Cod

For the Alaskan Cod
ingredients:
• 2 (1 lb each) Alaskan Cod fillets, halved crosswise or cut into thirds
• kosher salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tbsp olive oil, divided use
For the Sriracha-Cream Sauce
ingredients:
• ¼ cup sour cream
• 3 tbsp Sriracha
• 1 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpie)
• 2 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed + wedges for garnish
• 1 tsp honey, preferably raw
For the Breading
ingredients:
• 1 cup panko bread crumbs
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 2 scallions, finely chopped + some sliced for garnish
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
instructions:
1)  Let fish come to room temperature for 15 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 425° F. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or 2 cast iron skillets) in the preheating oven.
2)  Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Season fish on all sides with salt and pepper.
3)  Mix all the ingredients for Sriracha-Cream sauce on a plate, and the ingredients for the breading in another.
4)  Coat fish with Sriracha-Cream sauce on both sides, then coat with the panko mixture. Put breaded fish on a wire rack or plate.
◘ tip: When breading, lightly press the fish down to make sure the panko sticks to the fish.
5)  Remove skillet(s) from the oven and place over medium-high heat. Add 3 tbsp olive oil in each skillet to heat up (if using only 1 skillet, save the other 3 tbsp for later).
6)  Gently add fillets to the pan, remembering not to overcrowd the pan. Sear one side for 3 minutes. At this point, you can either carefully flip the fillets to sear the other side as well, or transfer the skillet to the oven.
7)  If searing the other side: Flip the fillets and sear the other side for 2 minutes, then transfer the skillet to the oven for 5 minutes.
If not searing the other side: Once fillets are seared on one side, transfer skillet to the oven for 10 minutes.
◘ note: Repeat cooking process for the rest of the fillets if needed.

8)  Place cooked fillets on a serving platter. Garnish with sliced scallions and lime wedges.
◘ tip: If one side of the fish is not seared, place fish seared side up on the plate for better presentation.
DSC04811 DSC04813DSC04814 DSC04818DSC04820 DSC04821DSC04823 DSC04826DSC04834 DSC04856DSC04857

Sriracha-Cream Seared Catfish

No comments:

Post a Comment